Love is a beautiful and essential aspect of life, however, you must consider these16 things you should never tolerate in a relationship. You must protect your mental wellbeing and this means zero tolerance for things that mess with your self-esteem, happiness, and sense of wholeness.
Human beings are naturally wired to thrive in love. We function better when we feel a sense of belonging, and when we feel needed, important, and worthy. Beautiful and essential as it may be, there are certain things that one should not endure.
It was with a heavy and painful heart that I watched two young pretty ladies abuse a young man by flogging him with a belt while he was on his knees.
Is this the price one has to pay for love? While the act did not seem natural for me, I still felt an inert need to cry out at the humiliation and psychological/emotional torment that the young man was subjected to.
Whatever that young man had done, he did not deserve that kind of humiliation. Nobody does. And why he did not report that incident we may never find out because his life was cut short by unfortunate events. It hurts to think of the kind of emotional pain he may have been going through.
Do not go silent.
16 things you should never tolerate in a relationship.
A relationship has to be enjoyed not endured. Do not tolerate these things in a relationship.
- Abuse of any sort be it verbal, emotional, psychological, or physical
- Disrespectful language or behavior
- A controlling partner
- Feeling that you are not a priority, you always come last
- Feelings of loneliness and yet you have a partner
- An overly negative attitude from your partner
- A partner that makes you feel bad about yourself
- A partner that does not want to acknowledge your relationship publically
- A partner that doesn’t listen to you
- A habitual liar
- A partner that disrespects your family
- A partner that always makes threats
- Extreme stubbornness
- A partner that shames, tease, or ridicule you in public.
One thing that I have come to understand in life is that most people just want to enjoy a peaceful life full of love, purpose, and meaning. When purpose and meaning elude them, they turn to other avenues to feel worthy.
We often turn to find purpose and worth in other people. Unfortunately, some people are monsters either by choice or unknowingly. Don’t allow such people to ruin your self-esteem.
Do not go silent.
Never endure pain in the name of love.
Nothing is worth your peace of mind.