Dealing with low self-esteem can be frustrating both for the person that is affected by it and those that he/she are in contact with. Self-esteem and self-worth are crucial aspects of your mental health and wellbeing. This is because they affect how you feel about yourself and the value that you place on yourself. This will also affect how you relate to others. So in essence, your self-esteem is everything in terms of mental health. Because it affects your interaction with yourself, your environment, and other people.
The cost of low self-esteem
The other day I had a hairdresser come home to do a simple hairdo we locally call mukule for the purpose of easy wig wearing. I prepared her a k50 for her labour, but when I asked her how much her charge was, she told me k25 in a small voice. So I gave her a k30 and not the k50 that I had prepared and she lost an extra k20.
Most often than not, some people devalue themselves even when someone has placed high worth on them. Self-esteem and self-worth are capable of winning you the whole world.
Most times, life has so much to offer you. But because you have told yourself that you can not ask for much, you end up getting peanuts while others scoop the jackpot. And you ask yourself why not you? Well, it’s because the other guy had the guts to go for the jackpot while you broke your neck and aked for whatever is there.
Can self-esteem be learned? What do you think?
Some facts about low self-esteem
- Low self-worth makes it very hard for others to love you.
- Displaying characteristics of low self-worth attracts exploitation from inconsiderate people.
- Low self-esteem attracts bullying.
- It’s very difficult for others to see your worth when you can’t see it yourself.
- There’s nothing more unattractive than low self-esteem/self-worth.
- Some people find characteristics of low self-worth offensive
- You will lose out on so many opportunities because most people generally avoid individuals that don’t value themselves.
- Most of your relationships are likely to fail because it’s hard for you to value others if you don’t value yourself.
How to deal with low self-esteem
You must understand that there is a huge difference between being humble and placing little value upon yourself. Knowing and living your worth is not a sign of pride. I have come across very humble people that have healthy self-esteem and know their worth. Sadly, most people with low self-esteem have not learned self-love.
There is no other way for dealing with low self-esteem than to fix it. You need to learn how to value yourself.