Happiness and wholeness are achieved better with gratitude. In fact, an honestly grateful attitude enables you to like yourself and appreciate yourself thus increasing your levels of self-esteem and self-worth. Positive self-esteem/self-worth and gratitude are key to wholeness and fullness of life. Thus producing one happy and optimistic self regardless of what life throws at you.
Generally, happy people are pleasant to be around with. They produce so much positive energy that makes life so easy and bearable regardless of circumstances. This article looks at how to find happiness with gratitude.
You can find true happiness if you learn gratitude. Because gratitude will give you a sense of contentment and satisfaction which will make you generally happy.
Everyone experiences unhappiness or sadness at one point or another. Simply because bad things and undesired situations happen to everyone. But suppose you are unhappy all the time? Or you find yourself unhappy every now and then even when trivial insignificant things happen? What if you drag through life like a dark cloud feeling nothing is good?
What causes unhappiness?
There are several factors that may lead to unhappiness. Highlighted below are a few common causes;
- Failed relationships
- Unmet personal goals
- Comparing self to others
- Feelings of dissatisfaction
- Low self-esteem and self-worth
How does gratitude enable you to find happiness?
It has been proven that people who practise gratitude tend to pull through and recover from loss and tragic events faster than those who do not. In fact, those who do not practice gratitude have higher chances of developing depression, anxiety and other mental health challenges following loss or tragic events.
Gratitude changes your mindset by giving you a more positive outlook on life. And this improves every aspect of your life.
Practising gratitude which is also thankfulness will have the following physical, social, mental and emotional effects;
- Improve your self-esteem, confidence, and self-worth. This will automatically cultivate self-love and improve self-care.
- Improve your quality of relationships, which includes friendships, family, and intimate relationships. Happy people are easy to get along with and are easy to love.
- Make you more positive; I cannot overemphasize the power of positivity in one’s life. A positive mindset unlocks doors for most life puzzles and it changes everything.
- Improves physical health and quality of sleep.
- Enhances your mental and emotional health by significantly reducing the chances of getting depression, anxiety and other mental health issues. It also reduces suicidal and self-harm tendencies.
- Facilitates quick recovery and rebound from illnesses and tragic life situations such as loss.
- Eliminates envy and comparison tendencies.
- Breeds satisfaction and contentment.
- Makes you a better person; It has been proven that people who are grateful in life are more helpful, more empathetic, forgiving, tolerant, and pleasant.
How can I find happiness with gratitude?
After sharing the effects of gratitude on one’s life, the next step would be to begin practising gratitude. I have listed below a few things you need to start doing for you to learn gratitude;
- Be helpful
- Stop worrying
- Avoid negativity
- Forgive yourself
- Focus on your strengths
- Keep a gratitude journal
- Practice positive thinking
- Eliminate envy from your life
- Avoid gossip and negative talk
- Practice self-love and self-care
- Don’t compare yourself to others
- View challenges as opportunities to grow
- Say thank you often even for the little things
- Appreciate the little delicacies of life like being able to breathe. Did you know that many people out there find breathing painful due to illness?
You can also make a gratitude checklist to remind you of the things you should be grateful for. Learn to count your blessings one by one. Enter your email address below to download and print a free gratitude checklist template.
Hope you enjoyed this article, go ahead and find true happiness now that you know how to do so. It all lies in a heart of gratitude. Remember to share how to find happiness with gratitude with your loved ones and friends. Sharing is caring.
We are about to enter a new month, download your 30 Day Gratitude Challenge to guide you through a full month of gratefulness.
7 thoughts on “HOW TO FIND HAPPINESS WITH GRATITUDE”
I totally agree. We really have to forgive ourselves and focus on our strengths. We have to acknowledge the problem/sadness in order to break the negative cycle. Thank you for sharing this! It’s a very timely and healthy content 🙂
What a well thought out article on Happiness in general. It’s all in our attitude and how we feel and treat others that can make such a difference. Just a smile and a friendly word to someone can make such a difference. Great post & inspiration for others. 🙂
Yes, I definitely agree with your point about gratitude. Having gratitude changes so much in your life and how you view things. Recently, I have been listening to a 21 days of gratitude meditation and it is literally changing my perspective on how I used to view things. I am also much happier in life now. Thanks for sharing this xxx
Great post! Keeping a journal and saying “Thank You” often are great suggestions to keep gratitude in mind. There are truly so many things to be thankful for every day.
Great post. I am sharing it on our Facebook page.
I’m fried from motherhood and this post is very inspiring. I’m working hard trying to be a more positive person. Everyday is a struggle. I highly agree with all your points about gratitude. I really enjoyed reading this post!
I love this! Happiness is definitely possible for anyone. You just need to work hard and put your mind to it. I love using gratitude, I write down what I am grateful for in my journal every morning. It really helps to start my day off positively 🙂 Thanks for sharing!